Monday, January 21, 2008

january 17th - back in LA (day 1)

Oh welcome to LA! I remember driving to breakfast last Thursday morning with Scotty and as we drove in and tried to find parking, I thought - who would want to live here and why? And why did I live her for 28 years. Yuck!!!

We met James and Jill for brekkies in Long Beach and we took my mom and the boys along. My mom wanted to meet the couple in who's baby I was going to carry. She's VERY supportive of what Scotty and I are choosing to do and has even said, "If I would have been able to do something like this when I was your age, I would have done it in a heartbeat." It's very encouraging to have your family behind you. Even Scotty's mom thinks what we're doing is great. Wow, I get on bunny trails...sorry. We got together for brekkies and sat and talked for a long time. James and Jill have since moved to Reno so we hadn't seen them for ages. We got to catch up on life in general. It was a good time.

We then met at Dr Acacio's office at 3pm that day and I finally got to meet the famous man that Jill talks about. She is correct when she said that Dr Acacio is great. Such a genuine and caring doctor. He explained a lot of the "unknowns" regarding the whole "science of making babies" to us and showed us on paper what a lil' embryo looks like. He answered my silly question of "will the baby have some of my blood." And for those of you that are curious to that answer - NOPE...the baby is all James and Jill's. The placenta acts as the worlds best filter. Say my blood type is O and James and Jill have bloodtypes of A and B, there is no way that baby will be born with O type blood. It's impossible. He stressed that as much as James and Jill are his patients, I am now his patient too and an important one at that.

After we talked in his office, we had to run some tests. Unfortunately and unbeknowst to Scotty, he had to participate in testing too. When I asked to go pee (knowing I'd have to pee in a cup), they came back with 2 cups. One for me, one for Scotty. The four of us stood their baffled. Why would they need Scotty's urine? Then they had me give blood - 3 BIG vials...yikes. After I was taken back to another room for the ultrasound, I guess they came and got Scotty 'cos he had to give blood as well. Turns out, our tests have to go through the FDA. All I can say about that is : WEIRD.

I then had a lovely ultrasound in which I learned I have a perfect uterus. I asked Dr Acacio if I got a sticker for that or a bigger lollipop at the conclusion of our appointment. He just laughed and snapped a few extra ultrasound pictures and said he was going to use those in a textbook. I'm quite proud of my uterus. :) He also said it was the best uterus he had seen all week. (Side note - Scotty was quite proud and blabbed to Zach & Susie about my uterus). What a proud husband. LOL.

After all that, we met with the nurse who went over a few last details and got a tentative calendar...and here it is :

I continue with the normal birth control pillls till the 13th of February.
I start the Lupron injections on the 9th of February (have I mentioned I'm not a fan of needles?)
I have a baseline Ultrasound on the 18th of February
The actual transfer of the Embryo's will be anywhere between March 10th-14th

Somewhere in there, I have to start the other injections which are a bigger needle and will require assistance in injecting them as they are kind of above my butt. Jill said that when she had to do them, James got pretty good at them. Scotty says he's up for trying. I also have Mara who I know will help, Kasey that has offered and my mother in law as well. And today, Jill even offered her step-mom Teresa to help with the injections. I guess I feel honored that so many people want to inject horomones into my bum! LOL.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - we have agreed on 2 lil' embryo's to be transferred. We're hoping for the best and at least one sticks. If both stick....WOW...but at this point, we're hoping at least 1 sticks. They refer to one as a singleton. It's kind of cute. I still can't fathom carrying twins but if it comes to it - I will. Just bring on the Ben & Jerry's. I think James will need a few drinks and a few "Guys Night Out" nights to wrap his head around 2 babies too. I won't be the only one in shock...



No comments: