Wednesday, July 2, 2008

the plan so far...

So, this time is a bit different since we're doing a fresh cycle. There's no set date for the transfer as it all depends on when Jill's body produces enough follicles to where they will trigger the ovulation to retrieve the eggs. So, I'll tell you what I know as of Wednesday morning, July 2nd...

Jill flies out over the weekend to LA and her first appointment is on Tuesday morning in which she will have an ultrasound. At that point, they will either determine when they will do the retrieval or they will say we need to wait a few days and do another ultrasound to check follicles. Now, when Dr Acacio is happy with what he sees, they will give Jill a shot that will trigger ovulation and 36hrs from the time she receives that shot is when they will retrieve all her lil' eggs. James has his ticket booked to fly in on Thursday to meet Jill and Dr Acacio and make his contribution. (And when I say James flies in on Thursday - it doesn't mean the retrieval will be Thursday).

So, once the retrieval is done, I will know exactly when I have to be down for the transfer. Depending on the amount of eggs that are retrieved, Jill and James have decided to do genetic testing to make sure that these lil' embryo's are good and healthy. Basically, if they have more than 3 embryos, they will do the genetic testing. If there is only 3 or less than 3, they will go ahead and transfer all 3 without doing the genetic testing. Reason being, with genetic testing, there is a chance that one of the embryos could not make it so they'd rather not run that risk. But if there is more than 3, they will do the genentic testing. So as of now, the plan is to transfer 5 day embryo's into me sometime between the 14-18th.

It's coming up quicker than I thought it would and it's a bit insane to think that it's just 2 weeks away. I guess you can say I've been a lil' guarded this time and as I was talking about it last night with some great friends of ours, I realized that I was a lil' naive last time. I know I thought everything was going to work out perfect and we were going to make James and Jill's dream of having a family happen. I guess I just pushed aside the factors against us and was naive. This time, I feel more guarded 'cos it is devastating to learn it didn't work.

My goal here is the same as last time. It was great to talk about it last night again and get that excitement back. I want James and Jill to experience the joy of holding their own child. Gazing into their lil' ones eyes. Hearing them laugh for the first time, hearing them giggle for the first time. All those joys - that's what I want more than anything for James and Jill. I still can't fathom not being able to have my own children and I don't know how Jill has coped with it. I know it hasn't been easy and that's why I just want to see so badly her holding her own child in her arms. I really want this to work this time and I hope the fresh embryos and the chance of transfering more than one will give us a great success rate!!

So, I think that's it for the day. If you would, just keep all of us in prayer over the next 2 weeks. I know we would all appreciate that.

No comments: